One in 200 Drivers on UK Roads is Uninsured
Information released to the Institute of Advanced Motorists in July 2013 under a Freedom of Information request has shown that an average of one in every 200 drivers has been caught driving without car insurance.
Facts about uninsured drivers
- 226,803 drivers in the UK have points on their licence for driving without insurance.
- Men are more likely to drive without insurance than women across all age groups.
- The statistics almost double for the 17-24 age group: one in almost 100 people drive on the roads without car insurance.
- Drivers in the 25-35 age group are most likely to drive without insurance (81,003 have points on their licence)
- Older drivers are least likely to drive without insurance, with just 0.06% over 65 having points on their licence for the offence.
These figures relate only to drivers actually caught by police, so the true numbers of people driving uninsured vehicles is believed to be much higher.
What’s the cost of uninsured drivers?
The burden of uninsured drivers falls on the shoulders of those who abide by the law in the form of higher insurance premiums and bearing the cost of car repairs for accidents they didn’t cause.
It’s estimated that uninsured drivers raise the cost of the average insurance policy by £30 and cost the insurance industry £500 million every year.
Ironically, the reason given by many motorists for failing to have insurance is the high cost; however it’s their very decision to forego insurance in the first place which pushes the cost higher.
Insure Your Motor can help convicted drivers
Car insurance companies are often reluctant to take on drivers convicted of driving without insurance, but Insure Your Motor is able to secure rates for these drivers. If you’re in that position, call us to see what we can do for you, or use our online quote system 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Our dedicated team of experts is waiting for your call.
Click for an online quote or speak to our expert team on 0800 557 1329.
Car Insurance for Convicted Drivers
Penalties for driving without insurance
A Guide to Endorsement Codes & Penalty Points
Find Car Insurance for Mobile Phone Offenders
Insurance for Convicted Drink Drivers