Frequently Asked Questions

Here you’ll find answers to our most commonly asked questions, such as how to request a change to your policy, what documents you need to return to us, what your insurance covers, and questions about making payments for your policy.





Sending documents to us

I have been asked to send a copy of my driving licence information. How do I do this?

The DVLA holds your driving licence information electronically and no longer issues paper counterparts. To access your driving licence information visit

I have been asked to return documents to Insure Your Motor, where do I send them to?

Please email documents

Alternatively, you can return them by post to:

Insure Your Motor
Axiom House
The Centre
4th Floor
TW13 4AU

Questions about your insurance cover

What level of cover will I have when driving in the European Union?

Don’t automatically assume that you are covered to drive someone else’s car. Check your certificate of insurance to see if you’re covered.Please check whether you are covered in your insurer’s policy booklet. You can find policy booklets here.

Can I drive other cars?

The ‘driving other cars’ benefit is only applicable to specific policies, so you should not assume that you are automatically covered to drive someone else’s car. This applies even if you have comprehensive cover.

If you have “driving other cars” cover this should be stated on your certificate of insurance.

Making a change to your policy

How do I make a change to my policy?

To make a change to your policy please contact our Customer Services team on 0344 493 7773.

To request a call back, please email your name, customer reference, telephone number, and details of the change you need make to

How much does it cost to change my vehicle?

We will charge you an admin fee of £50 to change your vehicle. Your insurer will recalculate your premium based on our new vehicle, which may result in your premium increasing or decreasing. These two amounts will be added together and you’ll then be charged or refunded as appropriate.

The price I’ve been quoted to change my policy is too high. What are my options?

We always do our best to find the best solution in cases where an insurer is quoting an adjustment fee that you feel is unacceptable.

Call our team on 0344 493 7773 to see what your options are. e may be able to find you another insurer.


What payment options do you have?

You can pay for your policy by:

1. One full payment by credit or debit card.
2. Monthly instalments using premium finance (terms and conditions apply).

Can I choose my payment date?

When you buy your policy, we’ll let you know your payment date. If this doesn’t work for you, we’ll do our best to change it. However, Ts and Cs apply so we may not be able to.  You may need to make a card to change your payment schedule.

If you’d like to change your payment date, please get in touch with our customer team.

When is my direct debit due?

Your payment schedule is sent out by post by Close Brothers Premium Finance. This shows you details of payment amounts and when they are due.

I have missed my direct debit payment, am I still insured?

If you miss the first payment attempt Close Premium Finance will schedule a retake date, usually within 7-10 working days of the first attempt. The second payment attempt will include a £25 default charge. If this fails Close Premium Finance will arrange a ‘last chance date’, in this case you will have to call and make a manual payment to prevent the cancellation of your policy.

Cancellations and refunds

How do I cancel my policy?

Contact our team and we’ll be able to help you.  In most cases we can offer you an alternative that may save you money and keep you insured.  Call us on 0333 400 1646.

I’ve received a letter asking for an outstanding balance. How do I query or dispute the amount?

To discuss a request for an outstanding balance please contact us on 0333 400 1646.

I’ve received a letter offering a reduced settlement. Can I pay this in instalments?

Any reduced balance would need to be paid in full. No instalment plans are available.


No Claims Bonus (NCB)

What is no claims bonus (NCB) and how do I prove it?

After each claim-free year, you add to something called your no claims bonus. This is because you’ve shown you’re a safe driver and haven’t made any claims.

We use this to calculate a discount on your premium when you come to renew.

When will I receive my proof of no claims bonus?

We will automatically send you proof of no claims if you choose not to renew your policy with us. Please note, we cannot release your no claims bonus before your policy has finished.

If your policy has already finished and you need another copy, please email

Insurance documentation

What is a certificate of insurance?

A certificate of insurance is evidence that you have insurance cover for your vehicle. It also details the specific covers you have. Please keep it in a safe place in case you need it. It may also be needed to tax your vehicle.

What is a cover note?

A cover note is a temporary proof of insurance document. It’s usually valid for 30 days and will be replaced when your certificate of insurance comes through.

How can I obtain a replacement certificate of insurance?

You can request a replacement certificate of insurance by emailing

Making a claim

How do I make a claim on my car insurance policy?

To make a claim on your car insurance  call 0800 221 8628. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Visit our Make a Claim page for more information.

Renewing your insurance

When is my policy due for renewal?

Your renewal date is shown on your certificate of insurance.

When can I start discussing my renewal price?

We will send out a renewal invitation 21 days before your renewal date. This will show your renewal price and let you know if your policy is due to be automatically renewed or not.

Why has my renewal cost increased?

We check all your details to ensure the renewal rate we’re offering is up to date but renewal costs can increase for a number of reasons. For example, you may have been involved in an incident during the year, you may have made changes to your policy details, or may have been a general rate increase in the insurance industry.

Why do I need to send back documents at renewal?

As a broker, our commitment to you is that we will continue to source the most competitive rate available across our panel of insurers each year. It may be that a different insurer to the company we placed you with previously is offering a more competitive rate for your renewal.

When you accept a policy with an alternative insurer they may on occasion require different or additional information to that of the previous company. We will inform you verbally and in writing if anything is required from you.

General Insurance Questions

My vehicle isn’t showing on the ask MID website, am I insured to drive?

The MID can sometimes take a few days to update. As long as you’ve been issued a valid certificate of insurance, you’re covered to drive. To avoid being challenged by the police, carry your insurance certificate with you.

Why can’t I tax my vehicle around my renewal date?

To tax your vehicle online you may need a valid cover note or certificate of insurance with more than 14 days active cover. If you’ve just set up a policy or are within 14 days of your renewal, you may not be able to tax your vehicle online. Instead you can take your documentation and payment to a post office to get tax.

If you need a replacement certificate of insurance you can request by emailing