Driving in the EU – European Car Insurance

EU flagIf you’re planning to drive your own car in Europe this year, make sure your car insurance is in order before you go.

Mandatory third party EU cover is automatic

Under European law, your insurance policy will automatically cover you for a minimum of third party liability when you drive in any EU country. Some insurers will only provide this basic mandatory third party cover in the EU, even if your insurance in the UK gives you comprehensive cover.  This means you won’t be covered for theft or damage to your car.

Extending EU cover to comprehensive

Other policies extend comprehensive cover for EU travel as a standard feature of their insurance, and most are willing to extend comprehensive cover for a small fee if it isn’t a standard feature. Check your own policy for details of the EU cover it provides.

Whether or not you have EU cover as standard, you should always inform your insurer each time you plan to drive your car on the continent, letting them know how long you will be away. If your policy gives you free EU cover, there may be a limit to the number of days they will allow.

Green Cards

Your insurer should issue you with a Green Card to take with you. Ask them to send you one when you notify them of going abroad. This is a bit like an international certificate of insurance. It’s no longer a legal requirement to travel with a Green Card, but you might find it useful to have it with you – it will make life easier if you have to make a claim or exchange details with another driver or the local police, as it proves you have insurance for the country you are driving in.

Contact us to enquire about insurance for driving in European countries. Call 0800 557 1329
*Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.

Related articles:

← Back to News