Volunteer Drivers Insurance

Does your car insurance cover your voluntary driving activities?

If you are a volunteer driver for a charity or organisation and use your own car, you should check that your car insurance provides the cover you need.

Some insurance companies will cover volunteer drivers under a regular Social, Domestic and Pleasure policy at no extra cost, but others may impose a higher excess, charge you an additional premium or even require you to purchase a Business Use policy. As a precaution, you should always inform your insurer that you are a volunteer driver to ensure you are covered in the event of any claim.

Receiving payment for volunteer driving

Some insurers are willing to cover volunteer driving as long as they’re satisfied that you’re working for a non-profit organisation and that you’re not being paid. The exception to this is the payment you’re entitled to for petrol, insurance and wear and tear of your car under HMRC’s rules.

You should include the mileage you travel as a volunteer driver as part of your annual mileage declaration to your insurance company when you buy your policy.

Insurers committed to no extra charges

The Association of British Insurers (the ABI) has created a document listing insurance companies who do not charge extra for volunteer drivers. Insure Your Motor is proud to work with many of the insurers featured, so if you volunteer as a driver, we can help find the right insurance cover for your needs.

Thousands of people offer their time as volunteer drivers to help others in the community. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has produced a Volunteer Driver’s Handbook to help you drive safely. Check it out for more useful hints and tips.

Click for an online quote that covers your volunteer driving or speak to our expert team on 0800 557 1329.

← Back to News